I’ve had a couple of people express irritation about why I don’t often answer my phone when they call. To clear up any questions here is my list.
- With text messages I can control when I reply, so if my son is hitting his head on the floor during a meltdown or the little lady is currently spilling an entire gallon of milk on the floor I can take a moment to control the situation before making a reply. I WILL forget to call people back all the time.
- I talk too much and will neglect my homework, children, housework, husband etc if I always talk to people on the phone. I don’t know how to shut up.
- Auto correct mishaps make my day, while freudian slips are also fun they aren’t as common.
- When I’m having a bad day or there is a crisis going on I don’t often want to talk about it, just the opposite. I may vent online and often find that therapeutic but if you got me on the phone I would clam up or start sobbing. Or both.
- I may be in the spa or library and talking on the phone is not an option, however texting can be done almost anywhere (as long as it is safe!)
- My memory is terrible but if I know someone sent me a text or email with a time I am supposed to be somewhere I will be more likely to remember. If you told me on the phone I most likely didn’t enter it into my phone and odds are good I’ll forget. OR I’ll just text you later to find out when it was.
- I can filter my thoughts and therefore be more productive. I can also reread what I’ve said to make sure it’s not going to come across in a way I didn’t intend it to.
Now I do believe that face to face and telephone communications are still important in relationships. It’s not that I never talk on the phone and my poor neighbors know I like to talk face to face.
All this being said I have a huge pet peeve. Just because you are texting or even writing a facebook status it does not mean that you can’t still use proper grammar and spelling. I’m not talking about the occasional wrong word or spell check mishap. If having a consistent conversation with someone via text and I am able to talk I will often call the other person to talk. I also call if there are a lot of details being worked out or I don’t understand what is being said.