No More IV!

While there were many things I didn’t like about being stuck in the hospital for two nights, the thing that took the cake was the IV. I HATE IV’s. In the ER they put the IV right in the crease of your arm, thus making it almost impossible to use said arm till it’s all taken out. My left arm did it’s own little happy dance when the nurse took it out! Granted it’s still very sore but no more icky IV. The stupid thing is that other than initial blood they took to run tests on Sunday night they never had use for the IV again but the Doctors wanted it left in just in case.

I do have to say that I feel better today than I have in a LONG TIME. The only exception being a lack of sleep. The first night I only got about an hour or two. Last night I was having to constantly turn because of pain in my hips from the hospital bed. Every-time I would turn the monitors would loose the baby and he’d play hide and seek with the poor nurse when she’d come in to fix them. Around 3am it was so bad that after 30 minutes of trying she finally asked if I could roll back over. Sure enough after rolling over he was willing to be monitored, I just couldn’t sleep because of the dang bed at that point. Sleep would come in short spurts.

First thing this morning my family practitioner made a surprise visit. I was surprised but it was nice to have him in on the loop since he’s who I obviously see when I’m not pregnant. He’s excited about the baby and to see me after so we can make sure to keep on top of everything.

While we didn’t get out of the hospital as soon as I’d hoped, it was around 3pm and could have been much worse. The big ultrasound with our Periantologist went pretty well. Uno is measuring even more ahead of his due date now, and this was our main concern. 2 1/2 weeks ahead and weights just shy of 5 pounds (that could be off by about 12 oz either way). My amniotic fluid however is low so they are checking him again on Friday (if it’s not one thing it’s another right?). It’s not alarmingly low right now, or I wouldn’t be home, so I’m not stressing about it. I know I have a great team of Doctors so it’s all good. The high risk specialist will see us again in a month for another extended ultrasound check to make sure the medication isn’t stunting the little ones growth. She talked to us a lot about making sure we follow up with another Heart Echo after the birth and making sure that we get things under control. I have to continue to take it easy and just focus on making sure the bad symptoms of the problems stay away. There were a few things about the delivery she made sure to note in my records and tell us so that my heart should be ok and not overloaded.

I had to stop by the Cardiologist on the way home also. He has decided that he would like to follow up with us in 2 weeks so we made that appointment. He talked to me a little about medication and I’ll be on the low dose of beta blockers for a year, as well as a low sodium diet (blah). It’s nice to have our little visits be optimistic and not have me leaving in tears. Everyone is relieved. I think the one thing that is causing underlying concern for the doctors is that if my numbers were low, and then slightly up, they could drop again. While there is a possibility one of the ECG’s could have been off, they are still being cautious. I’m totally optimistic and thrilled however without a cloud over my head.

It was awesome to come home. I was even excited to see the dogs. Max keeps following me around if I get up and move. I can’t wait to be able to take a shower and use my hairbrush. Wearing clothing instead of a hospital gown is good too. Sleeping tonight is also something I can’t wait to try. No nurses coming in all the time, no waking up to check vitals, no beeping monitors, no awful hospital bed… YAY. I might actually be able to get a good rest.

I’ve learned with this pregnancy to just expect it to be unexpected and abnormal. While there are still lots of hurtles to jump and weeks to pass we are optimistic. Thank you all so much for the well wishes and support through the entire nightmare/blessing.


12 thoughts on “No More IV!

  1. I am glad things are looking so well for the situation.

    That will be so nice for you to be able to sleep in your own bed. I hated those nurses walking in ever few hours to check on me. Come on I am fine, let me sleep!!

  2. Low sodium?!?! Blah is an understatement! I hope you adjust to that, and probably alot more, really well….including the short snatches of sleep….that’ll be your life for the next few years. One piece of advice if you don’t mind: Pay attention to your body, and don’t second guess any concerns or wait for office hours, etc., to ask the dr (one or all)!
    We love you and are praying for you uno and all.

  3. Things sound like they are looking up!

    The sleep thing? Get used to it! LOL!

    Little Daniel was awake, mostly, every night from 11:00pm to 5:00am for the first few weeks. I hope after all you have been through, little Uno will be a great sleeper.

  4. So glad things are looking up.

    You and I are so different. I loved the hospital bed and also my IV. Mostly I missed the IV when I went home because it delivered my pain meds every time I pushed a button. You just don’t get that kind of service at home. πŸ™‚

  5. So glad you are home and AMEN about IV’s! I hate those things. I am truly glad you are home and that you are feeling ok. You are in our hearts and in our prayers! Let us know if you need anthing!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s